Sharp-Tasting Flavors of the Tomatillos are Delightful
Enhance any Mouthwatering Meal
Salsa de Tomatillos | Chile Verde
The fresh sharp-tasting flavor of the tomatillos are delightfully reminiscent of the tartness of green plums and will enhance any savory dish.
Optional Jalapenos transforms this simple cooked salsa recipe to an exceptional hot sauce recipe you will treasure.
This mild salsa recipe is especially good with tortilla chips, but try it with mild cheese sticks for an extraordinary taste treat.
Salsa de Tomatillo will go with most any seafood, grilled chicken, and eggs but let´s not forget the traditional tacos, enchiladas and burritos for an authentic Mexican food taste delight.
Salsa de Tomatillos
- 1 lb tomatillo (about 12-15), husk removed, wash and cut in half
- 2-3 Jalapeños, stems removed
- ½ cup fresh Cilantro leaves
- ½ cup white onion, finely chopped
- ½ - 1 tsp salt (optional, to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly mashed
- ½ lime juice from half a lime
- In a 2 quart sauce pan combine tomatillo, Jalapeños and garlic with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium and cook uncovered until the tomatillos are soft, approximately 6 to 10 minutes depending on their size.
- Remove from the heat drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid for later use.
- Allow the tomatillo, peppers and garlic to cool and remove the stem from the chiles if you have not already done so.
Note: If you want a milder tasting salsa go ahead and remove the veins and seeds from the Jalapenos as well.
- Combine the tomatillos, jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a blender or food processor. Process to form a smooth textured puree adding the reserve cooking liquid as necessary for the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a molcajete or serving bowl. Stir in the chopped onion and let the salsa ripen for about 1 hour to allow the flavors to fully develop and serve.
- The Salsa de Tomatillos can be kept for 1 week in the refrigerator in a tightly covered jar or dish.
Makes about 2 cups.
Hey, did you try the Classic Green Chili Sauce?
Here is a pleasing combination that is sure to stimulate the old taste buds. The Salsa de Tomatillos can be kept for 1 week in the refrigerator in a tightly covered jar or dish.Makes about 2 cups.
Salsa de Tomatillo Chile Verde
Simply add 1 cup of Classic Green chili Sauce to the recipe above.
When you combine all the ingredients to puree. Process to your desired texture and enjoy.
You can serve this just like you would the Salsa de Tomatillos.
Transfer to a molcajete or serving bowl. Stir in the chopped onion and let the salsa ripen for about 1 hour to allow the flavors to fully develop and serve.
Authentic Mexican kitchen items
Wow! Tomatillos and Classic Green chili Sauce together.
Need Ink to Print your favorite recipes? SAVE up to 75% OFF today Interested?
Do you have favorite salsa recipes that should be included on this sight? We would love to add them to our collection. Steve, here are my favorite recipes.