Tomatillos - Those funny looking little "green tomatoes wrapped in a blanket" fruits is actually a vegetable and a member of the nightshade family.
Recipe Salsa Tomatillo The tomatillo is a vegetable used in traditional Mexican cooking.
The tomatillo is an annual (plant that lives for only one growing season), and measures about 3 feet high and about 5 feet wide.Tomatillo Salsa.
The round yellow, green, or purple fruit is about 2 in diameter and has a purple-striped, papery skin and a tart taste.
Try Tomatillo Salsa with Red Bell Pepper.
Recipe Salsa Tomatillo
Ingredients for Recipe Salsa Tomatillo 1/2 lb. (about 4-6) tomatillos
Directions for Recipe Salsa Tomatillo
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon. lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon. salt
Serve with tacos, grilled chicken or tortilla chips. Makes about 1 cup. TIPS: A 16 ounce can tomatillos, drained, can be substituted for fresh tomatillos. After tomatillos are processed in blender, they can be refrigerated up to 1 day or frozen up to 3 months.
- Peel brown husk from tomatillos; rinse.
- In medium saucepan, cook tomatillos in small amount of boiling water.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Drain.
- Place cooked tomatillos in blender container or food processor bowl with metal blade; process with on-off pulses just until smooth.
- Just before serving, in medium bowl combine tomatillos with remaining ingredients.
Ingredients for Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (3 1/2 oz.) cans green chilies, chopped
- 4 (10 oz.) cans tomatillos, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
Directions for Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
- Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until onion is translucent and soft.
- Add green chilies, tomatillos, sugar, and jalapenos.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
Tomatillo Salsa with Red Bell Pepper
Ingredients for Tomatillo Salsa with Red Bell Pepper
Directions for Tomatillo Salsa with Red Bell Pepper
- 3/4 cup diced husked tomatillos* (about 8 med.)
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 tablespoon. white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced seeded jalapeno chili
- Puree 1/4 cup tomatillos in processor.
- Pour into medium bowl.
- Mix in remaining tomatillos and all ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
- A tomatillo resembles a green tomato with a paper-thin husk. Available at MexGrocer.com - Online grocery shopping store for Authentic Mexican food, cooking recipes and culture
Recipe Salsa Tomatillo